Gmail. It’s always been like this. Your messages come to your inbox, you read them and that’s basically it. What else could we need, right?
So much more. Meet Kanban in Gmail.
You should be aware that it’s 2018, there are many things you can — and should — automate in your life, and there are tools that transform your email experience in several ways.
Kanban in Gmail is a trend that has gained a lot of traction – here is everything you need to know about it.
But what is Kanban?
Kanban is a task management system that was created originally to improve manufacturing efficiency. Proven successful in the automotive industry, it has expanded to several other industries such as software development – with tools such as JIRA -, project management – with tools such as Trello – and even CRM, – with tools such as Pipedrive.
Kanban works great and has many valuable attributes:
- It is visual, bringing a holistic view of tasks across different stages;
- It is simple, breaking an amount of tasks down into smaller and manageable pieces;
- It is productive, allowing sorting and prioritization of tasks;
- And it just works.
It consists of multiple lanes in which tasks are organized and moved across:
What you need to know about using Kanban in Gmail
Why not to use such a powerful task management system in your Gmail? After all, most emails are tasks and most task start as an email.
This is what you need to know to start using Kanban inside Gmail, to boost your productivity.
1. How does your Gmail layout change?
– Emails become cards. Your list view turns into multiple lanes containing “cards” (that can be Emails or standalone tasks). Every email has a dedicated space that you can work freely in. Also, you can add notes or assign due dates to your emails.
– Tasks become cards: why do you need to have a task management app AND Gmail? By turning Gmail into a Kanban board, tasks will also become cards and be managed side-by-side to emails.
– Focus on what matters. By gaining the sense that important emails will need more attention, everything else turns into quick To Do’s. By using Kanban in Gmail, you can sort your Emails and tasks, prioritizing and dragging the most important ones to the top.
2. How do you use Kanban in Gmail?
– There are different ways to turn Gmail into a personal Kanban. You can “improvise” with a Kanban board by using Gmail’s multiple inboxes feature or you can simply install tools such as Drag to automatically turn Gmail into a Kanban board.
– Big task management tools such as Trello and Asana allow you to send emails from Gmail as cards on their external Kanban boards. But tools such as Drag work on the other way around, and bring the Kanban boards to right inside your Inbox.
3. What can you use Kanban in Gmail for?
– Kanban boards mean your emails can have much more information. Gmail doesn’t need to be only an Inbox. The flexibility of Kanban allows you to create multiple workflows across different Kanban boards, to keep track of multiple activities such as CRM, Helpdesk system, project management, and so on.
You don’t need to change your whole interface
There are a few Gmail Kanban tools out there. But they differ significantly from each other.
The more familiar web interfaces are, the easier it is to learn and get used to it. As other solutions have their own interfaces, Drag seamlessly integrates into your Gmail inbox, so basically it remains as easy to use as it was before, but now you have so much more new features.
Everybody is trying to be the best Gmail Kanban tool 🙂
What you’ll learn inside Drag
Starting now, we’re aiming to share what our plans are, how we’re doing and what lessons we’re learning along the way.
▪ Just like this article, you’ll get real-time updates on what’s happening, what’s working and how it feels in a startup.
▪ Quick videos explaining quick wins and how to grow your business
▪ Live Instagram updates. Real-time stories of what’s happening
This is our attempt at sharing everything. It’s as simple as that You don’t have to be a customer to follow us.